Saturday, January 21, 2017

to dark days ahead

I was hoping to get to a beer store I haven't been to in a while, ending the cycle as it were, but it turns out the place is only open in the morning on Saturdays.  Well, shoot.  As a last resort, I can go to Carrefour, which has a small selection of national craft beers.  Most of them are from Sagra, although there are a couple of Brabantes on the shelf too.  I'm not sure what the significance of Burro de Sancho is for Sagra, I mean why they have this separate line going, but it's been around since just about the beginning.  As I often do, I let myself be called by the dark beer, simply called Negra.  It's supposed to be a porter style, not a stout, but a good porter is fantastic as well.
There's a light scent of chocolate, and the beer is slightly translucent, but a nice dark brown color.  The head is fluffy and gradually dissipates in a few minutes.  The taste is bitter-sour, like a blend of porter and stout, thanks to the coffee essence I imagine.  There's also a mild bitter chocolate flavor, maybe a little light for my taste, but certainly noticeable.  It's a good sipping beer, good for conversations, without any heaviness that distracts.  I've had more interesting porters, but also plenty of worse ones.

Supplier: Carrefour
Price: €2

No comments:

Post a Comment