Monday, January 2, 2017

Beermas Day 9

On the ninth day of Beermas I poured out for me
Nine ladies sighing
Eight cream ales fizzing
Seven spicy mockswans
Six stones a-hanging
Five golden caps
Four calling birds
Three speckled hens
Two flightless non-doves
And a pear cider fresh from the tree
Cibeles has a long and distinguished career as a craft brewery, more than half a decade I believe.  That's long and distinguished around here.  I was prompted to pick up this particular product since the name seems to be connected to the season, but it actually refers to the dark brown, "chestnut", color and nothing else.  If you want nutty beer for the holidays, you have to go to La Virgen.  Cibeles CastaƱa should be a solid choice year-round.  Oh, the ladies dancing?  Divinities can be ladies, right?  Even if I didn't find any dancing, that's a face that looks like it has some unfulfilled wishes behind it.
But why can't I go to the ball?
It's a little lighter than the last chestnut beer I had, and the head on this one also fizzled out quickly.  I get more of an apple smell from it than I expected.  Like the cream ale from yesterday, it is definitely a beery taste, although light and snappy.  It's a little sweet in flavor, although not as much as the aroma might suggest, but there's also a bitter base to it.  Again, it's something I might prefer on a summer evening to early January.  It does leave a little bit of something behind on the tongue, maybe something that escaped the bottle of unfiltered liquid.  It's not unpleasant exactly, but a little strange to have a spot of bitter in the middle of your mouth like the Ghost of Beers Past.
Supplier: Simply
Price: €2.25

No comments:

Post a Comment