Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Beermas Day 3

One the third day of Beermas I poured out for me
Three speckled hens
Two flightless non-doves
And a pear cider fresh from the tree
This one isn't quite cheating, since the name has the right bird in it!  It also has a festive color for a beer, being a darkish one.  A strong ale, it looks like.  Old Speckled Hen is English rather than French, but quite honestly I don't see that many French beers here anyway.  Morland looks awfully classic, although the bottle is clear, unusual for beers.  The name is explained as a homage to a car that was used in the MG factory, "the owld speckled un", when the ale was first brewed for the company's 50th anniversary.  I wonder if it's still there, producing cars.  I could google it.
That's not a hen!
A tempting orangey brown, not-quite-white head, and little odor greet me.  Taking a big sniff, I detect a little bitterness, but just barely.  The taste is interesting, a little bit floral at first, then taking on a woodiness with just a hint of bitter.  I'm reminded of some barrel aged beers, although they had a heavier sweetness about them.  I probably have it chilled too much, being an English ale, and as it warms up I expect to get more flavor out of it.  It feels like a nice chatting beer, one that quietly slips by with the conversation and surreptitiously helps it get more animated.

Supplier: Más que Cervezas
Price: €2.65

No comments:

Post a Comment