Saturday, November 12, 2016

the calming quaff

It's kind of weird fall weather right now.  First it got cold, then not so cold, then it rained a little.  At least it isn't very windy right now.  It's not bad enough weather to keep people from clogging up the little sidewalks downtown, unfortunately.  I had to shuffle up to the bus stop after leaving the beer store.  I went down to La Buena Cerveza this time, one that's just far enough away that it's kind of a pain to go very often.  There is a good selection, though, especially from national breweries.  However, I grabbed up a Danish porter before I made my way to the Spanish craft section, the coffee infused Still Lifestyle, with one of my favorite motifs on the label.
Not so subliminal advertising, anyone?
It has kind of a funky smell, more earthy than I expected from a coffeed porter.  It's a nice, rich black color and the dark beige head is bubbly, but not especially long-lasting.  The taste is very smooth, not at all earthy actually, and with a sweetness kind of like a coffee with condensed milk in it.  It's not very sweet, mind you, but there's really no sourness to be found in the flavor.  You might think it's too light to be a pleasing black beer, but it lives up to its name, in my opinion.  Unlike some light stouts and porters, it has a solid foundation of flavor, just a less deep and smoky or tangy one.  It is not watery or weak in any way.  The lack of heaviness makes it a good choice for a moment of contemplation and quiet.  The smooth taste lets you meditate and the sweetness gives you a little pick-me-up at the end of the day.  Another good black beer choice!


Supplier: La Buena Cerveza
Price: €4.09

No comments:

Post a Comment