Saturday, October 22, 2016

the recommended

When I picked up the Oktoberfestbier last week, the clerk recommended this other German lager style.  He swore it was more flavorful and a better drink for those who like lagers.  I'm not actually the biggest fan of lagers, but I do want to keep my options open and my choices varied.  It's not like I don't like them.  So, into the bag went St. Georgen Kellerbier.
da-da!
Not a lot of aroma here either, but it's a more robust tannish color.  Not too heady.  Oddly sour-grassy taste, incorporating that grainy flavor of many German beers, but with a bitter chaser.  The Oktoberfestbier was content to sit back and relax, but the kellerbier demands your attention.  The surprise of the sourness wears off after a couple of sips, but it remains a stronger tasting beer for sure than last week's selection.  It's not one of my recent favorites, a little too sharp.  It would be good on a warmer day, actually, but now we're in the fall and it's the rainy season here.  Some people might be perked up by the strong, sour taste on a gray, wet day, but I prefer a good smoky stout.  Who am I kidding, I prefer that any time.
Nothing personal, Georg

Supplier: La Birratorium
Price: €2.25-2.45 (somewhere in there)

No comments:

Post a Comment