Saturday, July 23, 2016

isn't there a song?

I think there is

It feels like it's been a while since I've had a nice German dark beer.  It's been a month and a half since the film fest, which is kind of a long time in drinking terms.  I stopped by La Tienda de la Cerveza this morning for a "coincidental" encounter with my old cervecero friend, and also to pick up some new stock.  I've said many times I can hardly resist the dark beers, your stouts, your porters and the like.  So, there's a classically named porter, just sitting on the shelf for me!  Othello Porter.  And what a label!

That's a crime scene if I've ever seen one...which I haven't
It's a lovely chocolatey brown, a bit light on the head.  The foam is slightly cream colored, and is resistant enough to not disappear completely, leaving a little cap on top.  The smell is also strongly chocolatey; I'm already salivating.  The taste is a little disappointing at first.  Mildly plummy and earthy, but with a kind of watered-down flavor, only to get a second wind of fruity smokiness as the beer goes down.  The fruit, and expected porterness, sharpens over time, becoming a little wilder and fiercer.  Unlike some porters, the fruit isn't heavy or cloying, but a little bitter and with a nod to the forest.

Supplier: La Tienda de la Cerveza
Price: €3.15

No comments:

Post a Comment