Saturday, March 12, 2016

pre-π

The fine, pipe-smoking gentleman, who appears to be wearing a burglar's mask, beckoned.  Is that for me?  A dark session ale, you say?  Well, why not give Ilkley Black a try.  I've been known to give the dark beers more consideration than others.  It's not quite a stout, but a black ale can also be quite a treat in the evening.  Of course, I should have looked at the label more closely before I walked out with it, since it warns of licorice, which I do not particularly care for.  Still, tastes have been changed before.
 It is lightly fragrant, with some ale tang and wheat.  Anyone expecting a truly black beer will be disappointed, as it comes out a definite brown.  It's a rusty red in the light but chocolatey in the shadows, with a fizzy off-white head.  I think I'm relieved that there isn't much licorice in the taste, although it's an interesting blend of planty flavors.  There's touch of coffee, covered by a grainier, grassier taste, and a bitterness riding the tail end the beer down the throat.  It's more like some of the German amber ales than the Belgian styles sessions, with very mellow flavors evoking meadows and summer afternoons.  It's bright enough for summer today, although not quite warm enough for some people I'd guess.


Supplier: Prost Chamberí!
Price: ~€3.30

No comments:

Post a Comment