Saturday, February 27, 2016

here be dragons

 It's still time for stout!  Who am I kidding, it's always time for stout at my house.  Ratpenat's Imperial Stout had the look of a beer not to be ignored.  With bouncing temperatures, it's hard to predict what the best beer for the weekend will be, but this time I really nailed it.  Icy showers and frigid winds mean strong dark beers are welcome, and more so if there's a dragon ready to light a bonfire.  This one looks like it might have already by accident.  Is it just me?
It's not, right?
No strong odor, but very black pouring out.  Practically headless, though.  Maybe I'm not hitting the angle tonight.  A barrage of different flavors spills over the tongue; it's mostly on the bitter end, but the coffee is there, like a coffee candy, and so is a little dark chocolate.  I'm also getting something tart, a little bit plummy.  I was promised a medley of coffee related flavors on the label, and I can say I am it's coming through.  There are high sweet notes and low bitter ones, like Starbucks shots falling over each other.  There's a weighty quality to it, although it remains an easy drink to swallow.  I wouldn't call Retpenat the smoothest stout I've ever had, but it's quite satisfactory and nothing to be shied away from.

Supplier: La Birratorium
Price: ~€4

No comments:

Post a Comment