Saturday, October 10, 2015

shade of the bottle

When I was looking forward to this, I was remembering the beer as a stout, probably influenced by The Mayan (oh, nectar of the gods).  But, it is an ale.  Cocoa and chili ale, but a light and golden brew nonetheless.  It also came with a cork, which I had to buy a corkscrew especially for; I guess if somebody gives me wine later on, I'll be prepared now.  With an eye to the coming holiday, here's Fantôme Chocolat.
Taa-daa!
Wait a minute...
Sheesh
The cap pops off with little fanfare, but the real opening is with a champagne worthy pop.  Fortunately, that's where the resemblance ends, since no beer is wasted in gushing foam.  It is a little heady at first, a thick, white cap on an orangey gold brew, but soon settles down.  It's not especially aromatic, unlike the chocolaty perfume of the Mayan, but a good sniff makes it out to be typically aley in smell.  The flavor, on the other hand, does reveal some cocoa in the first sip, with just a touch of chili bitterness at the edges.  The overwhelming taste is the craft ale, though, on a bed of citrusy sour.  It's a very mild-tasting beer, probably just fine for a summer sipping actually.  As the days are getting darker and temperatures more pleasant (for me, anyway) The Mayan probably fits the bill better.  Still, good to keep in mind for a sunnier sit-down.
Something tells me the label was a little rushed

Supplier: Cervezorama (RIP)
Price: €6

No comments:

Post a Comment