Saturday, June 13, 2015

on the dark side

I'm continuing my German week with a good dark beer from Weihenstephaner, Korbinian.  I always favored the dark beers in Germany and Austria, and the taste is still with me after all this time.
Wait, did St. Stephan have a pack bear?!
 The smell is definitely alcoholic, not with the whiffs of plant matter noticeable in other beers.  It's a doppelbock, so definitely dark, but not black.  The beer in the glass has red-brown highlights, almost rubyish.  The taste is sweeter than I expected, but thinking back to previous bocks, it's just what it should be.  There's a little bit of chocolate at first, but it quickly disappears, replaced in the aftertaste with a grassier flavor.  There's that plant material.  It's a strong beer, at 7.4%, but the taste is deceptively smooth.  It's a good beer to go with my next German film...
Here's to horror!


Supplier: La Tienda de la Cerveza
Price: €2.95

I didn't see anything at the festival on Friday, so reviews will wait until tomorrow.  My friend the beer-seller has had a haircut, though, if I'm going to give an opinion on something besides beer.  While I like my guys to have some hair up top, some of them plenty hot with a shorter do.

No comments:

Post a Comment