Saturday, April 18, 2015

whale of a beer

I can't help but think of the flenser when I see the name of this city, a profession known to me only because I read Blubber as a child.  It's one of those cute little bottles that I see many German beers in on the shelves of the German stores (not so much in the beer stores, though).  The cap has some decoration too.
Not a whaling ship, is it?
There's a musky bitterness that comes out when the top comes off with a satisfying pop.  The beer - lemony colored, translucent, fluffy headed - looks refreshing and summery.  I find the first sip a bit strong on the grain, giving it almost a dusty texture, but that might be the power of my own mind.  After the initial shock, it's tasty, although sweeter than most pilsners I'm familiar with.  Very German-like flavor, though.  The evenings aren't quite warm enough yet to fully enjoy this beer, since it has a cold beverage profile rather than just cool or room temperature, but it's good to have something to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment