Tuesday, March 17, 2015

at the end of the rainbow

As a good American, I can't let this holiday pass.  What, it's for some Irish saint?  Who wasn't even Irish?  C'mon...
Anyway, I found a good Irish stout this year, with the evocative name of Celebration Stout.  The label tells me to expect a range of flavors, and promises to please the experienced stout drinker, a title which I feel fairly confident in claiming.
Easy-off cap, for when it's not your first of the night
A puff of chocolatey stout scented air pops out immediately.  Good chocolate liquid comes out too, with a creamy looking head settled on top.  The taste surprises me a little, with a quick shot of dirt up front, but the bitterness is tempered by a calmly rising tide of chocolate.  As soon as the sweetness disappears down the throat, however, the foundation of bitter earth hangs on for a bit.  After letting the beer sit for a while, a definite curl of smoke can be felt in the smell and taste.  Ok, I'll say I'm pleased.
To the stouts and stout-hearted!

No comments:

Post a Comment