Saturday, August 24, 2013

the story from the restaurant

The worn-out sun sighs wearily while slowly descending to the horizon, "Another day lighting the world and not so much as a thank you.  How long has it been since anybody has worshipped me?"  The moon is already out, just barely visible against the still bluish sky.

"You're so unpredictable lately, it's a wonder you're surprised.  Playing hide-and-seek with the clouds one day, raging down at them the next.  If you were more stable, like I am -"

"You?  You never show the same face twice!  Every night a little bigger, a little smaller, in a different part of the sky.  Call that stable, do you?"

"I may have variations," replies the moon with dignity, "But I am still predictable.  I have a pattern.  You could set a clock by me, so to speak.  They have made calenders by me.  And better ones than those you've inspired, by the way."

"Oh fine, throw that in my face," huffs the sun, throwing off a few solar flares in frustration, "But you see what I mean about their ungratefulness?  You gave them the possibility of a balanced rhythm and they pushed it aside, dazzled by my brilliance.  I gave them warmth and stimuli - I gave them life.  They don't even acknowledge my contribution, except to complain about it.  They've been starting to think more and more of themselves for a long time now, and you'd think they thought they created everything."

"Well, there you have it, I think," sighs the moon, "Now they just worship themselves and everything external is just a backdrop.  They feel all the power of the universe within their own being and they think they know how to tap into it.  Venus blames the stars, you know.  They've turned to influence that sort of thinking on our little world."

The sun glowers, growing ever darker shades of red, "Well, when will some other influence be felt?  Hell, why not my influence?  After all, I'm light years closer than any one of those other cosmic farts."

"You know it isn't so simple.  The most logical of ideas just don't get any traction sometimes."

"I guess I'll have some time to think about it without being disturbed.  i don't know why, but this side of the planet annoys me the most.  I hardly have any ill-feeling for the other side, and they ignore me just as much these days."

The sun is just touching the horizon now, infusing the thin clouds with smoky oranges and brilliant pinks.  The moon has grown stronger, now giving off a firmer, more confident white than before.  "Well, you go on and have a rest.  I'll be here, reflecting your glory, reminding them down there of your existence."

"You don't have to exaggerate," grumbles the sun, lower with each passing moment.

"No exaggeration, friend, just the truth.  But only our truth.  You know how those things don't translate well to outside parties," and the moon is glowing brighter and brighter in the blacker and blacker sky, and the sun is sliding down the path that leads to the other side of the world and it disappears, leaving a strange peace behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment