Saturday, April 28, 2012

could it be...

SATAN RED??


I tend to be wary of Belgian beers lately; they just have something in the aftertaste that gets me.  Still, how could I resist the label?  I guess the devil made me pick it up.

This is one effervescent beer.  It flows smoothly into the glass, foams right up, and the head sits there like a cloud for many minutes.  It took two fills of my glass to empty the bottle, and both pours produced a fluffy, marshmellowy foam.  I'm not quite sure where the "red" comes from.  It doesn't look very red in the glass, not like Kilian's for example.  It does have some of that sharp Belgian beer smell, but the taste isn't nearly so cutting as some I've had.  There's the typical sour, but then a surprising undertone of sweet.  Kind of mellow, at least compared to what I was expecting.
Note: Beer is lighter in real life


I wonder if Mephisto will show up at my door with a case of this now?  Probably not, I'm not enchanted with it.  It's perfectly alright, but I prefer, say Köstritzer.  Those dark beers are the most seductive to me.
Well, isn't he special?

No comments:

Post a Comment