Saturday, February 18, 2023

the wolves

February is still a dark month, although little by little the days get longer.  It's especially noticeable in Madrid, it seems to me, more than in places I've  lived before.  The change is obvious even over a couple of days.  So, I guess I need some shade before it gets to bright for all my waking hours.  Laugar is one of the best breweries in Spain for black beers in my opinion, and it seems to me that I might have even come across Basatia in the wild.  No reason not to have a quiet evening at home with it anyway.

The head is very dark and foamy, but unstable, disappearing in a few seconds.  It leaves behind a good looking liquid behind, though, and a thick stout-appropriate aroma.  I get licorice, a little dirt, some heavy fruit.  It didn't look very thick pouring out, but the scent promises almost syrup.  It's pretty smooth in feel, but there is indeed some good heft to it, and less licorice than I feared.  There isn't much stone fruit or sweetness at all, but it's not quite bitter.  It's a smoky, earthy beer, leaving a little toastiness in its wake, treading softly.  Despite having some respectable mouthfeel, overall the impression is of a laid-back beer, one that you can easily have a conversation with, and it won't push you out of your chair.

Supplier: Lambeer
Price: €3.90

No comments:

Post a Comment