Sunday, May 22, 2022

still easing into spring

Beermad seems to be back on track, with its biannual schedule.  They're also touting this as being completely COVID-unrestricted, so maybe the glasses will be back.  Assuming, of course, it was a hygiene thing that pushed them to using the plastic cups the last time.  I take a gamble that the first day in the morning won't be excessively crowded and metro it on out to Case de Campo.  Not too crowded actually, but it is only about noon.  There's plenty of time for people to decide it's time for a Saturday beer.

I seek out Dichosa, which was in Vallecas but I didn't get a chance to sample.  There they are, conveniently near the entrance, and with barrel aged stout to boot.  It's a wine barrel, which I'm not not completely sure about, but what the hell?  I'm happy to give De Tranquis Ribera del Duero a shot.  It smells like wine immediately, although it looks like a good stout.  It also has a distinctly winey taste, very red, with a little tannin skin on it.  The stout part seems to give the drink a creamy undertone, but no earth or smoke.  The flavor notes are very high, so it's more like a turned-down wine than a jacked-up stout you'd expect from barrel aging.
What else is new?  Ossegg Pivovar.  I was immediately intrigued by the Czech name, and unsurprisingly the brewmaster is Czech.  It seems it's a collaborative investment of Czech and Spanish capital, with a mix of talent as well; so traditional for Spanish brewing!  They boast of the quality of their ingredients, imported from Czechia, and the solidness of their Czech recipes.  I decide on Karlovy Vary dark lager, because I still feel like staying on the dark side a while longer.  It's not super dark, but it is super fizzy, with a cap of strong thick head, just like a Central European would want.  Not too aromatic, which isn't too surprising for its kind, and also very light flavor with just a touch of lager grain.  It feels fizzy in the mouth, almost like a tonic or mineral water, but without any weird salts or sulfurs.  It's remarkably subtle, in comparison with other crafts you might call it bland, but it has the weight of tradition behind it.  Really, as a mealtime or snack beer it would be perfect.  Still, as a standalone it's a little sad, like it's missing something, either stronger flavors or conversation, to add some spice.
The Hop Wear people are here, as they usually are, and they recommended I stop at Octavoarte.  I'm happy to take some advice on breweries I don't know yet.  They have mostly varieties of ale, and now I am in the mood for something lighter colored and brighter tasting.  I choose Cryptohop Hazy IPA.  Not actually that hazy, but a good IPA color and bright head, not overabundant but resistant.  There's a slight citrus hops scent, but it's more teasing than powerful.  Interesting caraway/cardamom flavor, but a lot of citrus or fruity hops though.  As a hazy, I was expecting it to follow the juiciness of the older NEIPA denomination, but this is more of a spicy hop-West Coast feel.  Is that surprise the "crypto"?  After a while I do start to detect some kind of hoppy citrus, like a modern IPA tends to have, but it's very light, hide-and-seeking, not the open performance that the typical NEIPA would have.
Another newcomer for me is Dos Dingos, another example of craft beer pulling the world together.  Argentinians, learning beermaking in Australia, deciding to serve the world their take?  Can't say no to that.  I decide on another shot at a juicy ale and select their Brekkie NEIPA.  This one looks a little more classic with an opaque color and a good fluffy head almost like whipped cream.  It does fizz away, though.  There's a hoppy, piney aroma, sharp like a good specialized IPA.  The beer isn't really bitter, just putting forth a tinge of citrus taste, but it is smooth and soft.  It has a lot of modern IPA feel, the taste is pretty much NEIPA on the nose, citrus and barely any bitter, but it has so little body that it's almost a light lager.  Still, a very refreshing and tasty beer on its own, something you could have on a beach, on a porch, in a beer garden.

There are a few people wandering around who seem to have bought hats from Chouffe, like this is Belgian Oktoberfest.  They are also selling the Beermad glasses, along with shirts and bags, so I guess they think we've had enough of a chance to get souvenirs in the last few years.

It's almost time for me to leave, but I have time for one more and I want to find something special.  I think I can go back to the dark side since I found my good NEIPA, and I see Raíz Cuadrada's Cenascura Oatmeal Stout (with milk balls!) jut waiting for me.  This one isn't on tap, but I get a fine serve from the bottle.  It has a good color, not too much head, recognizably stouty aroma - earth, basement, growth.  It's slightly sour and milky, not really sweet or malty.  It's not bad, but I think it feels a little bit papery, actually kind of an "organic" feel; that is, something sour and natural, or at least naturally fermented.  I would wish for something hardier, but it has a good backbone and isn't too bitter or salty.  To be honest, it's rather nice as a stout on its own, although it wouldn't be bad with some little snack too.
Not payment, just bartering, very traditional

And that was my spring Beermad...and now I hear there's another fair before the month is out?  I guess I should enjoy them while I can, you never know what the future will bring.  Like monkey pox.

No comments:

Post a Comment