Saturday, January 15, 2022

the feels

I was gifted a small variety of Sahale beers, so we get another one today.  All you black beer lovers would be well advised to visit if you can, the stout varieties have always been impressive.  We actually had this one over Christmas, a kind of preview, and were impressed with its presence and grace.  The description is complicated - double bourbon maple syrup barrel-aged Imperial stout - but it is itself simply delightful.  I give you Maple Warm Fuzzies.

It has the rich woody bourbony smell that most barrel aged stouts possess, as well as the sleek near-black color.  Not a whole lot of head, but I'm not especially picky about that.  The maple really comes out in the flavor, giving the beer a heavy breakfast leaning, makes you suddenly crave pancakes.  Unlike some barrel aged or pastry stouts, it doesn't feel syrupy at all, despite the maple taste.  It's a rather clean drinking beer, smooth and low on aftertaste.  After the initial shock of the maple sweetness you start to notice the wood of the barrel coming out, but it's a complementary flavor more than a distraction.  In a previous tasting I thought it ended up tasting like an ice cream topping, and I don't think that's far off this time either.  

Yeah, if I had any more I'd keep them for myself

 



No comments:

Post a Comment