Saturday, January 29, 2022

kill the thirst

It's always a good time for a stout, at least for me, so that's the first thing I look for when I decide to go looking.  Sometimes it's even worth asking for a little advice.  There's always something new on the shelves, and the people who put it there ought to know something about it.  That's how I left La Mundial with El Matador, a Russian Imperial Stout created by Juguetes Perdidos, an Argentinian brewery, but produced in Spain by San Frutos.  The reach of craft beer is greater by the day.  I've even just seen that Oso Brewing is distributing in 15 countries now.  The possibilities are endless.

It certainly looks good, appetizing, rich and smooth.  Not a whole lot of head, but it's a resistant little cap.  It's one of the less aromatic stouts, although I might just barely detect a little bit of earth.  The flavor is pleasant, not overly powerful, a dark chocolate sort of essence.  It's not exactly sweet.  There's a good amount of bitter in there, but I'd say less smoke than I was expecting.  It also doesn't have as much of a coffee kick or dark fruity bloom as I'd been lead to believe.  I'm not really disappointed, it's a good enough evening drink as it is.  At first I feel like it has a rough alcohol afterfeel, but it doesn't take long for that to smooth itself out.  Eventually that toasty grain flavor makes its way into the mix, but that leaves it as something like a dark chocolate covered cookie, so no hard feelings at all.

Supplier: La Mundial

Price: €6

No comments:

Post a Comment