Saturday, October 23, 2021

gnädige Frau

For a long time it seemed like German craft beers were going to stay beyond my easy reach, way down in the south that I am.  But, surprise, surprise, they've been making more and more appearances.  Naturally, they are being promoted for Oktoberfest, although they certainly aren't the traditional styles that you find in Munich.  The one picked up isn't even from Munich (although not so far away), but Frau Gruber does make me think of some German (or Austrian) TV shows that take place in the area.  Licious Biermischgetränk contains a fair amount of fruit, that being orange and mango, so I wonder if it will be a little lighter than what you might be looking for at the end of October.

Oh, it's just orange juice in the can!  I can coax a little foam from it, but not much, and it doesn't hang around for long.  The aroma has only a little oranginess to it though.  It smells like a battle of bitter and sweet, not actually the most appetizing, but I will trust in the Frau.  The drink is quite a mouthful, much thicker in the mouth than I was expecting.  Practically syrupy in consistency, although not sweet at all.  It's a very heavy bitter, with a little tickle of sour in the aftertaste.  I was wrong about it being light, it's a beer drink with presence.  It doesn't have an overpowering flavor exactly, it has a little bit of a party to it, but maybe a little too much to go with breakfast.  Breakfast by itself, maybe.

Supplier: Labirratorium

Price: €7.45

No comments:

Post a Comment