Saturday, February 6, 2021

supernatural solutions?

About 11 months ago Madrid clamped itself down in an almost hysterical attempt to prevent an major viral outbreak.  It did not work.  Not only did a lot of people get sick then, but plenty of people are getting sick now, causing weekly changes to restaurant hours and times for free movement.  It's a better time than ever to drink at home.  It's also a good time to have some darker beers to go with darker moods.  The days are getting lighter now, but that's really not a lot of help to most of us.  Black Magic seems like the kind of thing we might be turning to at this point.  But, this Black Magic is an unfiltered chocolate porter, not some ritual that requires animal or human sacrifice.  I don't know if the gods are going to do our bidding just for a porter. 

It's a nice roasted brown rather than black, which promises the chocolate.  There isn't much chocolate aroma, although it is a little bit smoky.  Quite resistant head, a nice fluffy beige.  It's much more sour than I was expecting, with a quick move into woody flavors.  It's like a barrel aged beer, but without the added alcohol.  After a few sips I think I'm starting to get a little bit of chocolate out of it.  It's a very light feeling beer, not sticky and really not very sweet.  It doesn't have a bitter baking chocolate twist to it either.  I'd say it's a toasty flavor with an underpinning of hops - there is a mild kick that I would attribute to them.  While it is a nice beer, well suited to a cooler evening, I still have my doubts that it would work as a divine libation, wresting the action of higher beings after dousing an altar.  'S fine for me though.

Supplier: Labirratorium

Price: €4.80

No comments:

Post a Comment