Saturday, April 25, 2020

holding steady

Still no freedom of movement around here, but at least we can get beer brought to our doors!  It's been a while since I visited Fábrica Maravillas.  They are a brew pub, not a store, but recently they've gone into canning so people can take their beloved beers home with them.  Now the bar part is closed, of course, but they can still make beer, and they can deliver boxes of cans.  24 cans.  It's a substantial order.  It actually only took a couple of days to ship across half of Madrid, but I was told I could send a taxi or Glovo to pick the box up for me at the place, and have my beer within half an hour of it being boxed.  I wasn't that hard up for beer, I don't mind waiting a while.  They had four kinds at the time, and I'll start with Raknal Imperial Milk Stout, because of course I would.
It's one of those not quite black stouts, thin light beige head, a good amount of coffee in the aroma.  It's not as heavy as I remember other stouts of theirs being, but it's a nice medley of flavors.  While slightly sticky, it's not too sweet, and warm notes of toast and earth move it along.  There's a tad bit of sour at the back of the palate, something like the kvass in Asheville.  It takes a while to notice coffee in the taste, which seems to come out with a milky roundness, not an abrasive bitter or licorice.  Despite being close to 10% it's easy drinking.  I mean, it's no Cabrona, but what is?

No comments:

Post a Comment