Saturday, September 7, 2019

possible pirate

So, there's nothing like an Irish stout, is there?  Galway Bay Buried At Sea might be a good example.  It is a milk stout, so a little softer than others might be, but it's still summer.  Even I can weighed down a little with those heavy beers.  There's supposed to be some chocolate in there somewhere, which has been fantastic in Black Velvet and The Mayan, but I know there are some that disappointed me.  I was so disappointed I don't even remember the names right off.  I guess they weren't too bad, if I don't have the urge to warn others off.
Quite strong in aroma, very sweet and sugary.  Makes me think of a maple stout or something like that.  Abundant beige head, not quite black color to the beer itself.  It's a good chocolate brown, though, practically opaque.  Not nearly as sweet as I expected it to be; at first it teases you with some hints of lactose, but a whale's back of beery bitter rises up, with a tail of licorice.  Notes of coffee start to develop, giving some nuance to the bitterness, but a strong sweetness never makes an appearance.  While there's lactose lurking around in there, I would not say there's any milk chocolate.  Perhaps dark chocolate, something more bitter and closer to the coffee that my tongue says is there.  It's not very heavy for a stout, probably not a summer drink for most though.  But fine for me!

Supplier: Cerevisia
Price: €3.30

No comments:

Post a Comment