Saturday, March 2, 2019

try to focus

Lookin' successful
It's been a while since I've had real quality time in the bar zones.  Life gets in the way of things, mine and others'.  With a little spare time between obligations, I thought I could pop down to Malasaña and visit La Pirata, which I haven't been in since it was Irreale.  I was a bit put off by the crowd in the street so early in the evening.  They have a TV but there wasn't a game on or anything.  It was pretty well packed inside too, so I had to cozy up in a corner near the bar itself.  I mean, I'm glad places do well, but sheesh.
Not every single one of the beers is La Pirata, but naturally the majority are.  Some of them are familiar to me, but I don't think I have picked up Resilience NEIPA yet.  It's what I'm looking for right now, though, something a little sharp and kicky, what with the ridiculous temperatures we're having in the streets these days.  It has a very juicy, cloudy look and a citrusy bitter smell typical of NEIPAs.  The taste is much the same, only slightly sweet with a lasting bitter that hovers on the tongue for quite a while.  It's a bracing flavor, unquiet, good EuroNEIPA, much like I would imagine that bitter Peninsula IPA mixed with natural orange juice.  The beer kind of smooths off over time, although the bitterness is consistently present.  Also, there is kind of a sting in the aftertaste and it does tend to build up in the back of the throat.  In the end I think it's more lemonade-y than orange juicy.
And plenty more to choose from

No comments:

Post a Comment