Saturday, March 30, 2019

laid back markets

Ah, another month comes to a close.  While a few interesting possibilities have popped up, I decided to play it safe and head on down to Mercado Vallehermoso, where there would be sure to be a couple of places to choose from, should something go wrong.  I've never actually gotten anything from La Virgen at Vallehermoso before, so maybe it's time I bite that bullet.
Could get some to go next time?
In the past, they had hot dogs to go with the beers, but I guess they've done away with that.  It's just beer and snacks in a bowl now.  The beers on tap were familiar, but the temperatures made the IPA look like the best bet.  It came out as the beeriest looking beer you could want, maybe slightly darker than an industrial ale or lager, and barely any aroma at all.  The flavor is bitter, no surprise citrus, and nothing to knock you down.  It's a bit energizing, not too heavy or sticky, not excessive with the bitter to make it unpleasant or a chore to drink.  Despite the lack of summery tropical flavors, I'd say it isn't a bad choice for a warmer day, not having the heavier notes of my more beloved black beers.  It's also not limited to summer with its lack of exotic fruitiness.  It does get a little scratchy at the end, a reminder of craftier days perhaps?  Nowhere near as throat-grabbing as some NEIPAs have been, though.
While the tap beers were fairly standard, there were some interesting things in the fridge, like a saison with blackberries and raspberries.  I do love me some berries, sometimes even with a beer.  The lettering on the can almost led me to believe it was Fábrica Maravillas, but I guess it just refers to the fruits with their Spanish names.  It's slightly reddish in color, awaking curiosity, with a mildly fruity smell.  The aroma carries some acidity, but the taste starts out as a very light touch, very fruity without a lot of weight behind it.  Soon, however, the saison sour makes an appearance.  Then it retreats back into a sweet aftertaste, deeper than the initial fruitiness.

I may have some misgivings about the selling out of certain breweries, but I don't think I'll refuse a beer just out of principle.  At least, not that principle.  A literal nazi beer, I might have to pass on.

No comments:

Post a Comment