Saturday, March 17, 2018

sláinte!

I wasn't sure if I could find an Irish craft beer for this drinking day of days, and was willing to settle for a green label.  And a stout.  I will have my stout, dammit.  Well, at La Birratorium I was greeted by the label I was looking for - on an Irish made beer!  Huzzah!  And stout, at that, so all boxes checked!  Eight Degrees Brewing was actually founded by a Kiwi and an Aussie, according to their lore, but they are now settled in the Emerald Isle and the beer is made there.  The name refers to both Ireland's geographic location (8ºW) and the optimal temperature to serve the Knock Mealdown at.  I fear I may have over-chilled mine.
It's a nice dark color, a bit light on the head, and malty in aroma.  The taste starts mellow and smoky, moving into a crunchy earthiness and finishing with a sort of licorice flutter.  As usual, I'm not sure if I like that ending.  Still, it's worth it for the dark chocolate/espresso main attraction.  It's a robust flavor even though the beer doesn't feel particularly heavy.  The chocolate flavor comes on stronger as the temperature rises, which is fine my me.  It also seems to wipe out the licorice.  It's on the less alcoholic side for a stout, which makes it a good party beer, easy to drink a few of while celebrating without ill effects.  It doesn't seem to need any snacks to enhance it, although it wouldn't hurt to have something either lightly salted, or chocolatey, like those mousses from a few weeks ago.  St. Patrick's chocolate cake and beer should be a thing?  Is it a thing somewhere?  Next year let's make it a thing.

Supplier: La Birratorium
Price: €3.65

No comments:

Post a Comment