Saturday, September 10, 2016

go ask alice

As soon as I walked out of the store with this bottle I thought I should have gotten a Mexican lager.  They had a couple.  And Mexican Independence is coming right up.  Sorry, Mexico, next week.  There's a skull on this one anyway, and we know you like skulls.  We are alike in that, you and I.  This, however, is a Spanish beer, or Catalan if you want to be technical.  La Calavera Brewing Coop labels themselves as "craft beer traders", or "traficants de cerveses artesanes".  I'm not sure if that's just a false friend or if they're having a little fun.  I'm also not sure if the name is a little fun, or if they're telling us something about their pet's diet: Alice The Dog Eats The Melanoidin.
It even has a beret.  That'll do for now.
Strongly scented, typical IPA citrus.  On the darker side of orange and slightly cloudy, rather resistant head.  It's very flavorful, bitter being the most noticeable flavor, but hardly the only one.  There's a taste of sweet orange and some hint of spice.  The first sip made me think of cinnamon, but I couldn't find it in later tastes.  In spite of being an IPA it's marvelously creamy, making me think of some sort of orange marshmallow candy, although not as sweet. 
Supplier: La Zurbanita
Price: €3.20

No comments:

Post a Comment