Saturday, September 17, 2016

enough cinnamon for you?

Yeah, no Mexican beer today.  Sorry.  I hope I didn't get your hopes up last week.  La Pirata does have a skull on the label, though, so that's something.  It's La Pirata Crema Catalana that I have before me, which may or may not be more of a dessert than I'm looking for.  Supposedly, cinnamon is involved in its making.  Interestingly, it's a collaboration with an Estonian brewery, Põhjala.  I really don't know what Estonian beers are like, or if they have any similarity to Catalan/Spanish ones.  Guess I'll find out.
Greetings from Hell!
I was expecting something a little sharp and spicy, but the smell is really more like apple cider, definitely sweet but maybe with a little something added for fall.  The look is also enough to fool you, being that dark, cloudy tan, with little head.  But the taste...huh, it's not cider, for sure.  There's something creamier about it, dare I say pumpkiny?  Maybe I'm thinking too far ahead for that.  It is sweet, with a fruity sugared flavor, but there's an underlying kick too, like cider spiked with rum or bourbon.  I think.  That's not a thing I've done, I'm going by how rum and bourbon have tasted in other mixes.  The taste stays balanced all the way through, maintaining its sweetness without getting too heavy or developing any weird aftertaste.  Quite pleasant, although I have to admit I'm looking forward to a stout or porter as the days grow shorter.  Totally didn't mean to rhyme.


Supplier: The Beer Garden
Price: €4

No comments:

Post a Comment