Saturday, January 3, 2015

start the year off hot

Here's something I hadn't tried before, chili beer.  Why not?  Beer by itself complements spicy food, so when you don't feel like a full meal, spicy beer.  There was one chili pepper on the bottom of the bottle, like an eel waiting to strike from the depths.
There's that pepper
Oh, hello
The chili popped right up to the top as soon as the cap was opened, interestingly.  It's small enough that it might come out with the beer if you're not careful, which I was since there's just a bit more beer than glass.  It foamed up at first, but the head almost immediately died back; I wonder if the chili has something to do with that.  So, I ended up with a glass of light cidery looking beer.  A good sniff does warn the drinker of the chili addition.  But how much is in the flavor?  Lots!  The spicy, snappy chili flavor explodes onto the tongue and streaks down the esophagus.   There are a few seconds of tingling after swallowing, like when eating some serious Mexican or Indian food, and the chill in the beer itself doesn't do much to fight it.  It does, however, keep the drink refreshing.  Actually, the spice itself seems to be a bit of a pick-me-up as well.  I wish I had some nice salty tortilla chips to go with it.  The flavor and the spicy kick are even all the way down, no concentration of flavor like in some other kinds of beers.  It's a little powerful for an everyday beer, unless you're a heavy spice lover, but it's quite nice for something special, although I don't think I'd have especially spicy food with it.
Don't be fooled, it's not apple juice

No comments:

Post a Comment