Saturday, December 20, 2014

christmas is coming

...and it will be here before the next beer tasting.  So, here we are with Santa's Little Helper.  A nice dark stout, something for the winter nights, and with a festive label bearing a reindeer and an elf.  Although I have a slight fantasy that peppermint will be involved in the flavoring, I am pretty sure that's just a fantasy.

Black as Christmas Eve, as promised, I can't help but think there's a little bit of coal dust in it.  Did I say coal?  I mean cocoa.  It has that typical hint of bitter chocolate of the best stouts, in my opinion.  There's a good balance of bitter and sweet, again like the best stouts and the best dark chocolates, with a simple and clean taste going in.  A little bitter does stay on the tongue, probably for the best, as it keeps the drinker from guzzling.  This is a beer to savor a bit rather than chug down. 
Santa's been getting that coal himself, I see

And now we know where that red nose comes from

No comments:

Post a Comment