Monday, November 24, 2014

landmark

The label is one of the more decorated from Domus, and a quick look at the ingredients shows they were planning on something representative: orange and saffron flower, sounds like Al-Andalus, at least to those of us with the barest knowledge of the topic.
The smell is on the sweet side, just a touch from the bottle, but once poured some citrus notes come out.  The beer itself has an orangey glow, and a pithy white head.  I got a good mouthful of the foam in the first sip, and it's quite tasty itself with a mild citrus flavor and a hint of something spicier underneath.  I wonder if it's the saffron flower; I actually have no idea what that would taste like by itself, and I'm only really familiar with saffron as a coloring agent.  Still, there's definitely something in this beer besides the orange and regular grain and hops.  It recalls Christmas cookies for me, ginger, cloves, that sort of taste.  It could actually come from the wheat portion of the recipe, I guess.  Many wheat beers do have that little sharpness to them.  It seems to me to be a good holiday beer, for Halloween or Christmas.  I have my doubts about Thanksgiving, just because orange and cranberry doesn't sound quite right to me.
It is orange, I swear

No comments:

Post a Comment