Wednesday, November 26, 2014

go fish

I had a hankering for something heavy and filling, and the beer store clerk, rather proudly I think, pointed Dougall's out to me.  In spite of the name, it's a Spanish company, one that's been around in fairs and specialty shops for a while.
Popping the cap releases a heavy, chocolatey smell, although it's a very light odor.  I can already tell this will be a good one.  Indeed, it's one of those flowing syrupy stouts, gently filling the glass, bubbling up some tannish foam frosting.  Smoky, bitter taste at first, but it quickly blends into a sweeter and noticeably chocolate flavor.  The sweet and bitter trade off in potency over the time it takes to drain the glass, which makes for an interesting experience.  There were no suggestions for accompaniment on the bottle, and I don't know that I'd want anything to interfere in the enjoyment.  It's really a very nice beer, one you'd want with some good music or good reading while you lounge around under a fluffy blanket on a poofy couch...someday that drinking couch will be mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment