Saturday, April 6, 2013

paranoia

The birds came back to sing
And brought all their throaty joy
And applause of fluttering wings
For my battered spirits low

I sit melancholy by the glass
And gaze out at the honeyed light
While tiny squirrels frolic on the grass
And rabbits in nervous contemplation sit

How I long for days when I would partake
Of freedom, roaming under the sky
How I despise now that one mistake
That follows, cleaves to, and suffocates me

If I had only made a better choice
If I had only known what would ensue
If I had only heard that little voice
That tells when we had best run

Now I hide in shadow and dare nor leave
For fear the monster will be at my back
No visitors more will I receive
Should he be in disguise to test his luck

A shaggy teddy bear at first he seemed
But soon to poisoned spines his hide did turn
Ever since from the darkness his eyes gleam
Like a cat's when hunting mice for fun

Caught in the web
I dare not move
The trolling spider
Will catch me dead

No comments:

Post a Comment