Wednesday, January 2, 2013

new year, new beer!

Almost trepidatiously I picked up Stille Nacht, mostly in memory of the holiday just past.  Although I'm often pleasantly surprised, I can't quite get over my mistrust of Belgian beers.
And a happy new year sky out the window

The beer is very foamy and bubbly, almost to the point of a soft drink.  It has the typical Belgian smell, slightly sour, and a little citrusy.  The first sip is impressive - sweet citrus, mellow, only the carbonation seems sharp on the tongue.  As the beer sits and as the bubbles abate, it becomes a little heavy and sticky.  I'd say it needs a salty snack, a nice bowl of pretzels or maybe a sharp cheese.  When warmer the beer has more apple-y flavor, which is interesting, luckily it's not excessively sweet, as I've noticed with other beers.
And a bubbly new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment