Sunday, March 4, 2012

more refreshment

I don't have beer/bottle photos to add more to my post, but I can assure you my experience was good.  I went to a beer tasting at Cervezorama, which merits a visit should you pass through Madrid.

The brewery is new, in that they are trying to establish a name for themselves, and that name is a good one to keep in mind if you're going to be passing through in the future: Fábrica Maravillas.  The beers in the tasting were all flavorful and made with flavor and enjoyment for the client in mind (so says one of the brewers who led the tasting).

I can't decide what my favorite was.  There was a really nice one which came out third: to me it tasted like apples.  Although other flavors came out over the time it took to drink the sample, the apple taste stayed with me.  I believe the working name is Malasaña Ale.  Later the triple and quadruple came out and they were... tasty.  A little odor of alcohol, but nothing more than you'd expect.  Less actually.  The flavor is very mild, smooth, and the whole feel of the drink is something you could drink pretty much anytime.  The colors were remarkably similar, all orange-caramel, but the head did come out differently on the different brews.  The saisson was quite bubbly, almost champagne-like, and pretty foamy.  The others had a pretty normal head for beer, which didn't last more than a minute or so.  I seem to recall both the saisson and IPA had cilantro in their ingredients, which made for an interesting twinge on the tongue.  Don't get all huffy because I don't remember precise details now; I'm actually writing days after the tasting.  Next time I'll take notes or something.

An unassuming card for what could become a kick-ass bar and brewery

2 comments:

  1. apple beer...cilantro...?? I guess I'm still a little to old school about the barley beverages I enjoy, so these added flavorings would leave me wondering about when the beer was going to be served. Having written that, I guess I should be more open to some liquid adventure... Because I drink beer as an adjunct and enhancer of food, I perhaps don't pay enough attention to the beer itself.

    As to the heads...I remember years ago in the old Czechoslovakia being told that if a head cannot hold a heller for five minutes, the beer was not good... The hellers at that time were quite small and minted out of aluminum or some similar light weight metal...they'd almost float on water, as I recall!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those hellers sound a lot like the old Austrian gröschen. I suppose the idea about good beer was similar in Vienna.

      Delete