Saturday, January 28, 2023

flashy

In preparation for stout month, I get something to kind of dip my toe into.  Something that won't weigh me down when I go deep and dark.  Still ought to give me a little tasty treat, though.  Won't you, Licher 1854 Kellerbier?  A quick search shows that the kellerbier was not Licher's 1854 original, that was a steam beer, the name is just a reminder of the brewery's age.

It's a very light straw color, lighter than I expected for some reason.  The head is a good consistency with very fine bubbles.  It smells a lot like a German beer, slightly bready, slightly grainy, but there's an interesting peppery bit on top.  Does it carry over into the taste?  Well, no.  It's a clean lagery beer, although the feel is a little heavier than usual.  It almost feels like melted Jello, but without the stickiness.  The flavor remains subdued, subtly sweet but nothing overwhelming.  It's almost a pre-pilsner, but not as bitter as those would become.  It develops a little woodiness over the course of the bottle, but still little aftertaste or excess weight.  I was expecting something more robust from a kellerbier, but as a last drink of the night it's not bad at all.

Supplier: La Mundial
Price: €3

No comments:

Post a Comment