Saturday, November 5, 2022

end of summer excursion

It's always nice to see a new arrival on the beer shelf, even if the brewery is already well known.  Even if the brewery is not exactly craft.  Or craft at all.  I like to have a Damm in the evening, although what I like is the märzen, and this is an IPA.  But it is new for me, a Mediterranean IPA, so I'm intrigued.  The can does not look too summery, although the mountains on the shore are green, so maybe there will be a warming feeling for the new cooler temperatures.  You never know what will come out of a Complot.  The story on the side tells of exploratory agriculture, trying to develop new hops and new farming opportunities near the coast; Complot is actually the name of the hops variety they developed to grow there.  While they insist the climate conditions are similar to those of the best hop growing regions in the world, I have the feeling that the Pacific Northwest and certain areas of Bohemia would be displeased at the comparison.

Rich orange, not exceptional head, and a sort of orange cream aroma.  A little apple in there too.  I think there's a little citrus trying to get out in the taste, but it leans heavily towards apple/pear.  It feels somewhat dusty at first, and like some body is trying to build, but it rapidly disappears after swallowing.  It's a very light feeling beer, and almost disappointingly subtle in flavor.  There's barely any bitterness at all and any hops are very subdued.  I guess it has more flavor of its own than the typical Mahou, but there's enough grainy sweetness that it wouldn't quite be the perfect hot and spicy food accompaniment.  If the food was very bland it could give a little interest to the meal.  There are certainly light and subtle beers made from West Coast and Bohemian hops, but I'm just used to a little more oompf, and I miss it when it's not there.  I guess it's something of a beach beer after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment