Sunday, October 23, 2022

Beermad once more

Beermad is back in force, doing its biannual meets, and once again it was in Casa de Campo.  The space has been alright, although not quite as well equipped with toilets as Caja Mágica was; still, a bit better than the port-a-potties outside the Railroad Museum.  I had been thinking about heading up to the Barcelona Beer Festival sometime soon, but it turns out it was the very same weekend this year.  Oh well, another time it shall be...

Being the antisocial introvert that I am, I got my ticket for Sunday morning, since I figured there would be fewer people desperate to get in.  I was right, it was pretty calm in the beginning, although I have to say it was a little sadly calm.  People did fill in over the next couple of hours, but the space felt empty somehow, like there weren't as many stands as other times and less movement in general.  It could have just been my impression.  I will say that they did not have such loud music as last time, which I appreciated.

Another thing I am is a sucker for black beers and I did go looking for one to start with.  It was a slow start, relatively, with Leoncia's Irish Stout.  Only 4.5%, but good color and appropriately stouty aroma.  Nice head at first, but it dies off quickly.  Vaguely bitter-toasty, with a light and fizzy feel, pretty much what I expect from the more moneyed stouts.  It's not a pastry stout or infused with any special flavors or barrel aging, it's a very plain and straightforward kind of drink.  A perfectly fine beer example, and one I would recommend over any number of macros.
Ever since I first saw their logo, I've had kind of a soft spot for 28030 Brewing.  The tree of knowledge, the play on the symbol of Madrid, it just fit too perfectly.  And hey!  The beer ain't bad either.  To go to an extreme, I chose Mango Vice Fruit IPA.  There were actually a good number of fruity IPAs and the like to choose from, more than dark beers disappointingly, but I am happy to alternate.  The appearance is very pleasing, cloudy and juicy, with a slightly herbal scent, and a thickish head that dies back to a thin mat after a few minutes.  It has a very juicy taste, natural, like a fresh-crushed mango, and some slight orange juice in the background for some more liquid.  It's rather like a NEIPA at its best, although not using the name.  There's a touch of sweet, a thick but smooth feel, and some grassy/herbal aftertaste.  It's not cilantro exactly, but I feel like it's in the family.
I go back to black and it's GO! Gata Negra stout now.  It was touted as very smooth, and indeed it is - light hints of chocolate, not as much coffee as you might fear.  Some touch of sour lurks, like milk just about to go off, but it's more yogurty than dangerous.  It's a little more delightful than the Irish stout, more in tune with my picky sensibilities.
I got roped in by La Candaja, ready to provide me with something to my taste.  They were pretty sure their Pasión NEIPA would do the trick and by god it did.  Super smooth, silky, leaves a feeling of peace down your throat.  It's not exceptionally aromatic, but tastewise it's perfect - a little juice, a good amount of beer, everything softly blended for an exquisitely refreshing drink.
Still plenty to choose from, and I let my linguistic curiosity point the finger.  Ossegg was back and I had to ask about their use of let for their flights, and I was told that it was chosen specifically to reflect the English usage.  How about that!  Also, apparently, vuelo gets thrown around in Spain, although I have not come across it that I recall.  Another Irish style was on the menu, and I was told it was quite a treat, so I end with an Irish Red Ale.  It is a nice rounded beer, only mildly bitter, with a whisper of grain and a pleasantly full mouthfeel.  It's a middle-of-the-road kind of red, without extremes of flavor, soothing, not hit over the head with bitter or punched in the gut with sweet.  It's very enjoyable on its own, although it has the feeling of a beer made with the intention of accompanying a meal.  Maybe it's time to look into an end of year dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment