Saturday, April 16, 2022

no futility here

Although I'm not the biggest fan of sour beers, there are times when they make sense, and besides, I do like to have something different once in a while.  Last week was an excess of ales, so now I feel like something that comes to me relatively rarely.  Tomorrow I'll be stopping by my mecca of stouts, so I don't feel like I'm taking a risk of missing out on any this week.  No, this is an apricot sour, from La Calavera.  Resistir Es Vencer.  I'm not sure what is being conquered looking at the gas mask, to be perfectly honest.

It's a thick and juicy looking beer, fizzy, but the head dies back with soda kind of crackling.  There's an odd rubbery smell to it, a little concerning actually.  With careful sniffing more of the apricot comes out, and maybe some more tropical hints too.  It's definitely a sour, but that sensation is not overwhelming.  In fact, I would say it's very delicate at first.  It does build up a little, something like sour hard candy, but the fruitiness is also quite mild and there's no beer bitter at all.  I thought there might be some grassiness in the flavor that would have linked to the odd aroma, but there really isn't any at all.  The flavor is snappy and generally clean.  It's a light feeling beer, too.  Despite the opacity, it doesn't have the toothy feel of some NEIPAs or the weight of some unfiltered beers.  There's definitely a hardness that comes from the apricot and the nature of a sour beer that gives this one a summery character and a promise of energy restoration at a sip.  It's not quite the cocktail you relax with on the beach or by the pool, it's more the drink you hide in a bag or questionable travel mug as you stride down the street.  To the local protest, perhaps.
Supplier: Birra Y Paz

Price: €5.20

No comments:

Post a Comment