Thursday, March 17, 2022

no snakes, but sand

For some reason I'm not very good at getting beer for specific holidays in advance.  It always comes down to the day before or so when I have to hurry down to some store to frantically search for something fitting.  So, for St. Patrick's Day I naturally had to make a trip, and I was pretty sure La Cervecista, with its industrial background, would have a selection of beers to choose from.  It actually wasn't hard to choose -  I found Around The Clock in the fridge, among the stouts, and with its production including Irish whiskey barrels, it looks like the perfect thing to enjoy on this holiday.  I'm certainly not going out with all the dust around.  It's another great reason to keep the mask on, but it's so much more comfortable to just stay home with a good drink.  It seems to me Porterhouse has made an appearance in my fridge before, or at least in some bar's fridge where I had a chance to pick it out.  A whiskey and bourbon accented beer is something new, though.

The tingly strong alcohol smell comes out immediately, with an enticing warmth.  There is also a little bit of sourness, like a fruit liquor.  It's a little less black than the expected stout, but still a good color.  Not a whole lot of head, but there is a nice covering of frosty looking foam.  The flavor is very smooth, no throat grabby kind of alcohol feel.  It's a little bit smoky, a little bit woody.  There's even a sort of milkiness.  The whiskey part is barely detectable, but it is present, adding a strong foundation for the stout to push off of.  Despite the smoothness, I start picking up a little bit of dustiness too, like there's a little finely blended fruit pulp in there.  I wouldn't expect it to be Sahara dust, with that wax cap, and being bottled before the big event.  It has a feeling of calm and steadiness that goes well with a weekday evening, or with a quiet kind of night out.  I don't think I'd enjoy sucking it down at a parade, or in crowded conditions, although it might be comfort when it gets stressful to deal with a bunch of other dipshits on the street.  Or whatever the Irish for dipshit is; I'm positive they have one, if not more.  Some languages are more creative with insult than others!

Supplier: La Cervecista

Price: €6.95

No comments:

Post a Comment