Saturday, November 13, 2021

pastry break

While passing through some oddly warm and sunny fall weather, some of us just cannot resist a pastry stout.  If you can have cookies and cake in the summer you can damn well have Chocolate Macaroon.  Basqueland has never disappointed, and it was in the promotion shelves, so there's a Birratorium guarantee behind it too, I think.  Will it be as heavenly as the label indicates?  We will see.

The beer pours out with a puff of chocolate cake around it, looking like it should be a mouthful.  The head is dark beige, like coffee froth.  The flavor is rich, rummy, full of dark chocolate and a hint of raisin.  It reminds me of Vanilla Black Velvet, but the sweetness is stronger, heavier, and the pastry side of the stout is much more evident.  At first I feared a build up of licorice, but after the first sip it peters out, leaving the hearty chocolate to its own.  The beer has stability, not going sticky or veering into odd territories with flavor.  This is definitely a treat, a beer that I would gladly have any day of the year.  It might be a little too sweet for some, and too dark for a summer afternoon drink, but black beer lover that I am, I would drink it anytime, anywhere.  Must be the season, I'm in something of a joyful mood.

Supplier: Labirratorium

Price: €6.65

No comments:

Post a Comment