Saturday, September 4, 2021

so much dessert

Since I have so rarely visited La Mundial, and I was in need of German pickles, it seemed like the most convenient place to go to stock up.  Also, although it's relatively small, there is quite a select collection.  Since days are getting noticeably shorter, I feel good about splurging on a few black beers, which the guy noticed approvingly.  I start with another Basqueland, in collaboration with Great Nation Brewing, Peanut Butter Prophecy.  You just can't say no to an Imperial Pastry Stout, especially with a Reese's touch of chocolate and peanut butter.

It might be just a little bit lighter than the most recent Basqueland stout, although the head is similarly dark beige, could be the effect of the peanuts.  I do think I get a whiff of peanut butter off the beer, a nuttiness with a touch of salt.  Like other peanut butter stouts, it's tangy with a blend of sweet and salty, and mouthy.  It's not exactly a thick beverage, like a beer float after the ice cream has melted, but it somehow fills the space and moves with purpose when drunk.  It's pleasantly not too sweet, just with a creamy peanut flavor that covers up the normal stout bitter.  I'm a little surprised not to find much coffee or raisin in the aftertaste, but not disappointed.  It's actually quite nice to have a simpler collection of tastes for once, one that comes in and goes down in the same way, without huge variations.  It's a good opener to a new season, one to look at with optimism I hope.

Supplier: La Mundial

Price: €7.50

No comments:

Post a Comment