Saturday, February 16, 2019

dot of color

Next week I'm quite sure it'll be back to the blacks, but the berry mead tickled my fancy this week.  Batberry, a mead flavored with wild berries, has an oddly enticing label, with a bat's head over a raspberry.  It kind of looks like the bat has some serious mutations, which could make it a Halloween label too.  There is actually quite a list of fruit in the ingredients, including the expected raspberries, currants and blueberries, but I also see pineapple and papaya at the end.  It purports to be perfect for a night out, which isn't quite my bag, but I'm giving it a shot anyway.
Opening the bottle releases a jelly donut-like smell, but the mead in the glass is much more like wine in aroma.  Pink with just a touch of violet, it's a fitting color for the season, even if a little bit late.  I can't help hesitating before taking a drink; even though there's a backing of honey, the sharp wininess is quite strong.  It's kind of the reverse with the flavor, however, sweet at first winding down to a grumbly bitter and finishing with tangy sour.  I wouldn't say it's too sweet, as some berry meads can be, just with a light, noticeable sweetness.  There is something of a summer drink about it, with the lightness and fizziness, and in fact it makes me think of an overly sweet sangria.  Sans fruit.  I don't think I would be able to identify all the fruit from the list if I hadn't read it, and I'm not actually sure I can suss them out now.  The tropical fruits are kind of in the background, with the pineapple giving a little acidity.  The red berries are definitely sweet, and the hibiscus and rose probably add some softness to the aroma.  Despite the appearance of a wine cocktail of sorts, I don't think I would appreciate this mead on a night out around town.  Its flavors are fine and on the delicate side, and deserve to be sat with for a while.  Maybe the appetizer, when everyone is still pretty much under control.

Supplier: Heneket
Price: €4.25

No comments:

Post a Comment