Saturday, February 24, 2018

getting late in the year...

So I had an outing yesterday, to Toast Tavern (Guzmán el Bueno 34).  It's been a while since I've been there, but the bartender remembered I liked darker beers, and was pretty pleased with himself for guessing which beer I was going to pick.  No stouts or porters on tap now, but there is a doppelbock, which is about as good.  Twice As Nice, from Hi-Wire, is the beer in question.

It's a dark, dark doppelbock,  almost like a stout in color.  Still a shade lighter though.  Mildly sweet aroma, but sweet bock flavor, juicy and honey-like.  It’s a Christmas cake!  I fear there will be a heaviness later on, if I don’t drink up, but the thing is 10% and it’s been a few hours since lunch.  I think I will have to put up with it.  Chips don’t do much for the taste honestly.  Not salty enough to really set off the sweetness.  Over the drinking time, I did not notice a lot of heaviness developing, and the beer stayed pretty much as it was in the beginning.  That is a good sign, it's a little weird to have a beer that starts out nice and gets sticky or changes flavor in significant ways.  Twice As Nice was a perfect doppelbock and a perfect gentleman of a beer.  I just need to find a better snack to go with it than potato chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment