Saturday, December 9, 2017

and back again

Oops, there's been a break in the continuity!  For a number of personal reasons.  Anyway, back to the beer.  I was going down to the George Herriman exhibition and there happens to be a beer store right on the way, where I've been but once before.  I managed to get in before they locked up for siesta and picked up a session ale by Buxton Brewery, Myrcia.  It contains oats, harkening back to some of my winter stouts, and yeast in the bottle.  I'll have to watch how I pour.
The aley scent of citrus is prominent and the beer is straw colored and bubbly.  While light in color, it's also cloudy, not surprising since it's unfiltered.  It's bitter but without the heavier fruity notes of most ales, even session ales like All Day or Valverde.  It's a grapefruit like flavor, cleansing and light.  It feels even healthy.  A little bit of sweetness oozes up over time, but it's a very subtle shade on the overall taste.  It's kind of a light version of the NEIPAs I'm seeing around now, which are also very juicy and healthily bitter, but with a bigger flavor.  Myrcia is kind of like a tonic with a little orange juice.  It's bracing and refreshing, much better for summer than winter I'd say.

Supplier: Be Hoppy
Price: €3.70

No comments:

Post a Comment