Saturday, July 22, 2017

into the brambles

I don't know why I took this chance with a lambic.  Maybe because it's raspberry, which I love, maybe because there's a lambic tasting happening next week (can't go, though), maybe it's just the weight of the temperatures that makes me look for something less cozy than my black beers.  Anyway, it's St. Louis Premium Framboise.  The bottle is a bit smaller than normal, 25cl, so it nearly fits all in my beer glass in one pour.  Hopefully, even this small amount won't be too much lambic at one time.
Ahh, beer in the sun...
There's an immediate waft of fruit when you pop the cap, and the beer pours smoothly into the glass.  It's a promising dark red, like fizzy cranberry juice, but sweeter smelling.  More like black currant, now that I think about it.  The taste is sour and in-your-face at first, but slowly dies back to a sweeter feel.  As it gets sweet, I have a prickle of worry that the beer will get syrupy or heavy, like some lambics do, but St. Louis manages to stay light and even a little fluffy.  Although the beer appeared fizzy at first, I don't get a lot of bubbles while I drink, so it's just smooth and juice-like.  I'm quite pleased, actually, it's better than many fruit juices that rely on heavy flavors and probably too much sugar.

Supplier: Espuma
Price: €2.60

No comments:

Post a Comment