Friday, March 17, 2017

green leaves and apples

Yeah, I was a little late with the last beer, for philosophical reasons.  Or maybe I should say meaningful ones.  Anyway, here's a chance to make up for it with a double - my regular Saturday and St. Patrick's!  Oddly, I didn't see any Irish beers on the shelves, but there was a small selection of cider.  I wavered between two, in the end picking up Craigies, mostly because the little vehicle on the label made me smile more.  It looks like the bicycle with an armchair on it.  Just the sort of thing you might create after five ciders or so.
It's very fizzy and a little cloudy, what you might expect from an apple product.  The smell is like apple juice (of course) but also a little buttery and smoky.  It's not nearly as sweet as some more commercial ciders, and not as dry as most Spanish ones, but the apple flavor is definitely present.  There's also the sharp taste of fermentation, reminding me of our non-alcoholic ciders and pleasant fall weather.  It's a nice, naturally sweet tasting drink, with its features linking up to all parts of the year: sharpness and fizz are refreshing for spring and coming summer; apple essence and a little spiciness bring October and December to mind, with cider or spiced drinks for the cold weather. 

Supplier: La Birratorium
Price: €4.45

No comments:

Post a Comment