Saturday, April 9, 2016

exercising the sweet tooth

Geez, last week was mead, now it's a raspberry ale?  What the hell, palate?  Some time ago, Sagra had a special beer for a beer fair with raspberries - Framboise - which was quite a tasty red ale, in fact.  Founder's has been impressive on other occasions, albeit from tap rather than bottle, so I will take this chance.
It pours out with just a touch of raspberry pink and develops a fluffy white head.  It looks like Cherry 7-Up actually.  I do get a tangy hint of the raspberry over the ale smell, so I can only hope it doesn't taste like Cherry 7-Up.  And I like Cherry 7-Up, I just don't want to be fooled into drinking it.  Oh, not Cherry 7-Up, for sure.  There's a little danger of lambic sourness at first, but dissipates quickly, leaving a bitter beer taste behind.  The raspberries are a little stronger than I remember from Framboise, leaving the beer heavier on the fruity flavor, but it's not incompatible with a relaxing drink.  In spite of the light fruitiness in the taste, it doesn't hide its beery base, being a tart and refreshing ale in its pink little heart.


Supplier: Palma Brew
Price: €7.90 (Like a certain comedy writer, I drink craft beer because I hate money)

No comments:

Post a Comment