Saturday, July 25, 2015

an outing

I could have run out and bought a bottle or two this morning, but I decided I would do something a little different this week and go to one of the gold standard craft beer brewpubs.  Fábrica Maravillas has had appearances here before, but this time I would get it straight from the tap.  Because I can.
Thing One...
They have something a little special this week, a collaboration with the beer store Cervezorama.  Everybody's favorite, Flipa, is the basis for a double hopped IPA, which sounds OK for a sunny afternoon.  I was given a little taste to be sure, and appetite was whetted.  It's a little oranger than Flipa normally is, although that's also a fairly colorful beer.  The head is very foamy, and a tad yellowish, and the foam hangs around in a think covering from beginning to end.  The smell lets you know you're in IPA territory, with the open citrusiness and hints of orange white, and the taste is also unmistakeable as IPA.  It is heavier on the bitter than Flipa, which has a little more sweet and spice.  This concoction thunders in on the bitter train, although the taste does abate a little with some exposure.  Maybe tastebuds adjust themselves.
Thing Two
Next, because why would you go to Fábrica Maravillas and not have at least two beers, was the Red Ale.  Stout was also available, but it seemed like something just a little too heavy for the weather.  Actually, if I'd had more time I would have totally had a stout.  I can't lie about rejecting it like that.  But, in the time I had, it was the Red that came up.  It's a rusty color, not too much darker than the IPA, but the smell is noticeably different.  It's much gentler and more delicate, with a sweeter tone.  I remembered the flavor being a little sweeter in the past, but it could have been the IPA hanging around.  It's still definitely on the sweet side, being very smooth and exquisitely easy drinking.  The beer bitter is there, but well hidden, wrapped up in a cocoon of stand-alone beverage.  I'll have to keep a close eye on the opening times in August, just in case there's a summer special.

Supplier: Fábrica Maravillas
Price: €3.75 (each)

No comments:

Post a Comment