Saturday, February 14, 2015

sweet special

It's still time for cool beers, and interesting flavors can be eye-catching on the label.  Rum?  Wood?  Vanilla?  Let's see about that!
Yakka appears in a lot of collaborative efforts, usually with less heard-of flavors, and they tend to do good work.  I have high hopes.  The beer is a rich, dark brown, with satisfactory sandy colored head.  I think I can catch a whiff of rum in the scent, but the vanilla is stronger.  I have some trouble fishing out the components of the flavor.  Knowing that rum and vanilla are ingredients makes me think that's what it is, but I don't think I would identify them without the label.  It's an odd whirlwind of flavors that blasts through the mouth, everything entwined and blending.  At first there's something of the wood, but immediately the sweet taste comes out and settles in.  The label suggests consuming the beer by itself, unless you have something really, really great to go with it.  I wouldn't disagree.  Most snacks would cover up the complexity of the flavor, which might not be all that important to some drinkers, but for those who like to pay attention to their beers it would be a loss.
Tasty!  Wait, what's that on the label...
"Rompe el me aburro de las pilsen sin alma"=Break out of the boredom of soulless pilsens
Hmm, who could that messsage be for?

No comments:

Post a Comment