Saturday, September 27, 2014

a toast to colorado

When I was a student in Vienna, there was a brewery right across the street from the dorm.  We made it a habit to go down there for an evening beer, and one of their regular offerings was Hanfbier, or hemp beer.  Being young American college students, it gave us a giggle to be drinking it.  I remember it having a very light golden color and a delicately sweet taste, nothing terribly striking, a perfectly nice drink on a warm evening in the restaurant patio.  It's been a few years since I've had a hemp beer, and checking out the latest specialty shop, I saw a label I couldn't pass up.
It's an even better name in Spanish...
Special beer, made in Germany
Just popping the cap releases a sour extremely beery smell, and the bubbly liquid is somewhat darker gold than I remember from Vienna.  The taste is about right, though.  Actually, a little more flowery than the Hanfbier I recall, which was more lightly sweet than planty tasting.  This is another horchata-like flavor, but also with a little bit of that saison style floral essence.  It has a very round, mouth-filling sweetness, but it's not overly sugary or syrupy.  Still, I'd prefer to have a little something around to balance it out, perhaps something vinegary like olives.  Salty pretzels or chips might enhance the sweetness of the beer, drowning out the floral notes.
Our Lady of Altering Substances has been working on her "smoky eyes"

No comments:

Post a Comment